A delicious vegan, gluten-free polenta dish with tofu and peanuts. A meal complete in itself. You can try your variations with any vegetables and nuts of your preference.
- ½ cup (80 gms) polenta or coarse corn meal
- 1 ¾ cups (400 ml) water
- ¾ cup (200 ml) full fat coconut milk
- 1 block of extra firm tofu (about 350 gm – 12 oz.), diced into cubes and roasted. The tofu can be lightly flavored with cayenne pepper or any other spices when roasting, as per your preference.
- 4 fresh lime wedges
- ½ cup roasted peanuts
- ½ cup frozen sweet corn kernels
- 1 inch of fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 1 green chili, finely chopped
- 1 small bunch of fresh coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp avocado oil or coconut cooking oil
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 2 or 3 whole cloves
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp black mustard seeds
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon powder
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- Heat one tsp oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add mustard seeds, cinnamon, cumin seeds, half tsp salt and half chili. Sauté for about a minute until seeds start popping.
- Add peanuts, sweet corn kernels. Sauté for about four to six minutes. Once done, remove from heat, discard the cloves, add lime juice and set aside.
- Take half of the above mixture, and blitz in a food processor to a coarse texture and keep aside
- Heat two tsp oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add ginger, half tsp salt, half chili and turmeric. Sauté for about a minute until the ginger is done. Add in the water and the coconut milk and cook to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce the heat and slowly start adding in the polenta, constantly whisking to avoid lumps forming. Whisk until a thick porridge consistency is attained. Add in the blitzed coarse textured mixture and cook for about two minutes. When cooking keep stirring to form a thick consistency.
- Pour the porridge into the 4 serving bowls. Place the balance of the sautéed mixer and the tofu on the porridge. Garnish with coriander and serve with the lime wedge.