Orange Almond Vegan Cake
Ingredients For The Cake
- 1 big organic orange with rind, about 250 grams
- 2 ½ cups almond flour
- ½ cup evaporated cane sugar
- ½ cup tapioca starch, 85 grams
- ¹⁄3 cup water
- 4 tsp baking powder
Ingredients For The Syrup
- ¼ cup fresh orange juice
- 2 tbsp evaporated cane sugar
Directions For The Cake
- Place the orange in a saucepan of water. Over medium heat, simmer the orange for 30 minutes until you can pierce the rind with no resistance. Drain water and let the orange cool.
- Chop, remove seeds and blend the orange (including rind) in a food processor into a puree.
- Add the rest of the ingredients with the pureed orange to the food processor and blend into a thick consistency batter. Add more tapioca starch if the batter is thin. Aim for a thicker batter.
- Oil the baking tin and preheat the oven to 170°C / 340°F. (You may use Avocado oil because of its neutral flavor or vegan butter).
- Pour the batter into the baking tin and bake for approximately 4o minutes. Insert a skewer to check if the cake is well baked. The skewer must have no wet batter on it.
- When done, let the cake completely cool in the baking container.
Directions For The Syrup
- Combine the orange juice and the cane sugar in a small saucepan and heat until the sugar has dissolved. Drizzle the syrup on the cake.
- Serve and enjoy!
- If you enjoy the bitterness of the orange zest, put less sugar; if not, you can use more sugar. I love the bitterness of the orange zest!