Bean Soaking Time: 4-8 hours
- 1 cup black-eyed pea
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 diced paprika
- 2 diced tomatoes
- 1 diced celery stalk
- 1 tbsp finely chopped parsley
- 4 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp mustard
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tsp cane sugar
- Soak the peas for at least 4 hours, preferably overnight.
- Rinse and drain peas. Boil in a heavy pot till done.
- Drain the cooked peas. Combine the peas, cooked rice, celery, pepper, tomato and parsley in a large bowl.
- To make the dressing, whisk together the mustard, lemon juice, soy sauce and cane sugar in a small bowl.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to mix.
- Chill 1-2 hours before serving.
This salad is delicious on its own or served over lettuce or spinach leaves. You can toss the greens with any leftover dressing. This salad will keep in the refrigerator for a few days and is a perfect quick snack. If short of time you may replace with canned peas.